Sophie is an experienced jazz educator renowned for her vocal teaching skills, and is currently one of the most in-demand vocal tutors in Britain. Outwith the covid pandemic she teaches on vocal jazz workshops around Britain and Europe with jazz vocalists Liane Carroll and Sara Colman as well as running regular 4-student intensive vocal workshops with bassist and music educator Tom Lyne from their home in central Scotland. She has numerous private students ranging from professional vocalists to complete beginners alongside being Contemporary and Jazz Vocal tutor at Aberdeen University and Edinburgh University’s Reid School of Music. She regularly mentors professional musicians and music students including from the Royal Conservoire Scotland, and students funded by Creative Scotland or Arts Council of England.
She also organises and teaches on songwriting and creative writing workshops and recently gained a Masters with Distinction in Creative Writing.
During this challenging phase of Covid 19 Sophie has shifted all of her individual teaching and small group and masterclass teaching to online using Zoom which has been a successful transition.
SOPHIE’S INDIVIDUAL SINGING LESSONS AND ONLINE MASTERCLASSES COVER
Jazz Repertoire * Phrasing * Interpretation * Improvisation * Vocal Technique * Music Theory for Singers
I also teach: Self-accompaniment * Song-writing * Sight reading * Analytical listening * Music Biography Writing * Developing your online presence and marketing * Mentoring
• Teaching methods devised from jazz vocal techniques
• Work with genres including jazz, pop, soul, folk, rock, r ‘n’ b, electronic, country, acoustic, musical theatre
• Experience your own voice
• Develop your individual self-expression and creativity
• Build confidence in your voice
• Vocal and Breathing techniques
• Ear training
• Phrasing and musicality
• Song interpretation
• Microphone technique
• Define your vocal range
• How to work with a band
• Practice technique
• Self-accompaniment skills
• Song arrangement skills
• Repertoire, chord charts and song keys
ONLINE MASTERCLASS SCHEDULE
Previous teaching posts include:
- Jazz Vocal Tutor at the Mediterranean Jazz Summer School run by Clive Fenner.
- Jazz Vocal Tutor at University of the Highlands and Islands.
- Jazz vocal tutor at the City of Edinburgh Music School.
- Jazz Vocal tutor at the University of Strathclyde on the BA Applied Music Course.
- Jazz Vocal tutor at the Royal Conservatoire Scotland.
- Vocal tutor at Newcastle University
- Jazz Vocal Tutor on the Fionna Duncan Vocal Jazz Workshop.
- Songwriting tutor in various secondary and primary schools around Scotland.
- Workshop leader for various community projects using vocal techniques, improvisation and songwriting
with elderly people, teenagers, special needs children, adults and primary school children.
- Britains first Jazz Education Development Officer 1990 – 1991 for Jazz South and South West Jazz.
- Musical Theatre Vocal Tutor at Creative Stage School, Selkirk.
Student testimonials from online masterclasses during lockdown:
- “With your very positive and encouraging words you have created a safe place for learning/experimenting.”
- “Your online masterclasses have provided me with regular practise, a deadline / structure to learn new material for, a window of song in the week, a commitment to music. I loved the expanse of participants from the world over and your love, support, encouragement and generosity.”
- “Taking part in these have really inspired me and the online format made it possible for me to do.”
“Just when I thought I would never sing again, you have helped to open up a new window in life for me “
“What a teacher! Many thanks for everything”
“You bring out the best in everyone”
“Thanks for sharing your love of jazz with me”
“Your help and encouragement have been wonderful”
“An inspiration to me”
“Thank you so much for all the amazing teaching you have given me”
“Thank you very much for concentrating on us so deeply and thoroughly and for always knowing where we are going. You are a fantastic teacher!”
“I’m inspired now and longing to do more”